Beyoncé's 'Homecoming' will premiere in a couple of days and as I mentioned in my previous post, 'Homecoming' Watch Party Checklist: Things You'll Need, drinks are a must. Being as this is a special occasion, this is the best time to try out your mixology skills and make some mixed drinks. Here, I've found three Beyoncé-themed drink recipes you can whip up to drink while you watch.
Lemonade is probably the most obvious drink to have when it comes to anything Beyoncé. This is the perfect spiked lemonade recipe for those who enjoy vodka.
2-1/4 cups sugar
5 cups water, divided
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1-3/4 cups lemon juice
1 cup light rum or vodka
6 to 8 cups of ice cubes
1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, 1 cup water, and lemon zest. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice and remaining water. Pour into a 2-qt. pitcher; refrigerate until chilled.
2. Stir in rum. For each serving, place 3/4 to 1 cup ice in a Collins or highball glass. Pour lemonade mixture into a glass. Garnish with lemon slices as desired.
The next drink is inspired by Beyoncé's iconic Drunk in Love. This recipe puts a twist on your usual margarita with a dash of watermelon chunks.
2 medium limes
1/3 cup sugar
8 cups cubed seedless watermelon (1 inch)
2 cups of ice cubes
2 cups tequila
1 cup Triple Sec
1/4 cup lime juice
1. Cut 1 lime into 12 wedges; reserve for garnishes. Cut remaining lime into wedges. Using these wedges, moisten the rims of 12 margarita or cocktail glasses. Sprinkle sugar on a plate; hold each glass upside down and dip rim into sugar. Discard remaining sugar.
2. Place half of the watermelon in a blender; cover and process until pureed (this should yield 3 cups). Add half of each of the following: ice cubes, tequila, Triple Sec and lime juice. If desired, add sugar to taste. Cover and process until blended.
3. Serve in prepared glasses. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Garnish with reserved lime wedges.
This drink is for all my brown liquor lovers. Made with one of the Carter's favorite cognacs, D’USSÉ, this drink is a must.
2.5 parts D’USSÉ VSOP Cognac
.5 part simple syrup
2-4 sprigs of mint
Place simple syrup in a glass with 5 or 6 mint leaves and muddle. Fill the glass halfway with ice, add 1.5 parts D’USSÉ VSOP Cognac, and stir. Add more ice and remaining D’USSE. Stir again until the glass is fully frosted. Top with ice. Garnish with fresh mint.