Similar to every year, Black History Month has come and gone in the blink of an eye. Because Black History Month is in the shortest month of the year it never seems as though we get enough time to celebrate it. This doesn't mean we have to stop celebrating because the month is over. I decided to go through my music library and pick out 9 songs to listen to throughout the year that'll be a constant reminder of why we should be celebrated.
1. DNA. (Kendrick Lamar)
2. Redbone (Childish Gambino)
3. Freedom (Beyoncé feat. Kendrick Lamar)
4. The Story of O.J. (JAY-Z)
5. Glory (Common & John Legend)
6. Formation (Beyoncé)
7. Alright (Kendrick Lamar)
8. F.U.B.U. (Solange feat. The Dream & BJ the Chicago Kid)
9. Black Effect (The Carters)
Honorable Mention: Lift Every Voice (Beyoncé)
While most of the songs listed have different vibes, they all hold the same message. Our blackness shouldn't just be celebrated for a month but throughout the year.